June 21, 2013

Homemade Japanese Potato Salad

As a fan of Japanese food, there's one thing that I will always always order no matter which Japanese  restaurant I go to, Japanese Potato Salad. Sounds cheap? After trying to make it myself, I can tell you this. YOU THINK IT'S CHEAP AND EASY TO MAKE AH!??

I apologize if I sounded rude earlier. But serious, it's actually quite time consuming.

Anyway, all thanks to my friend, Stanley, for providing me the recipe for it because he knows I love it a lot.

Usually I'll make ONE BIG POT. Yea.. can last for a week. LOL.


And here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

4 medium potatoes
1 carrot
1 zucchini (Japanese cucumber)
8 tablespoon of Japanese mayo
2 teaspoon of Zirashi (Japanese mustard)
1 tablespoon of milk
black pepper

Steps:
1) Boil the potatoes for 20-30 minutes (or until its soften).

p/s: you can do Step 2 later while waiting for the potatoes to cool off after boiling if you want to.

2) While waiting for the potatoes to boil, slice carrot in half moon shape and simmer in hot water for 5 minutes. Slice the zucchini (Japanese cucumber), put roughly a teaspoon of salt all over the zucchini and leave it for 15 minutes. Then squeeze out all the water from the zucchini.

3) After done boiling the potatoes, peel the skins roughly. Mash it in a bowl gently, so that there are some chunks left.

4) Add in Japanese mayo, milk, and Zirashi (Japanese mustard). Stir evenly and gently.

5) Then, add in zucchini (Japanese cucumber) and carrot.

6) Mix everything up.

7) Add in pepper to taste.

DONE!

If you're wondering Zirashi (Japanese mustard) is which one, please refer to the picture below.

The one on the right (orange box) is Zirashi.


Japanese mayo is this one.


Zirashi (Japanese mustard) can be bought at Jusco, or Daiso.

Japanese mayo can be bought at Jusco, or Shojikiya.

Other ingredients can be bought at any supermarket / market.


This is how I like mine. I add in cherry tomatoes, some sunflower seeds, and at the bottom is coral reef salad. 

Of course you can always customize it yourself by adding whatever things you like (But don't too over la) :)

Enjoy!!